Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cafe Ceylon

<2010-06-02 Wed> I haven't been here for a long time. Victoria does
not excel with its Indian restaurants, and Sri Lankan food is a good
alternative.

The place has a relaxing feeling, and it is half full at lunch time
today.

I asked for the House Special. It is a beautiful dish. It comes on top
of a section of a banana leaf and it contains bright yellow, orange
and red. The smell of the leaf combined with the curry fills your
nostrils and makes your mouth water.

Until you take the first byte. The chicken feels overcook, in fact, it
feels old. I know, curries have to be prepared in advance, but not the food.
The meat killed the amazing food experience that started at the eyes (perhaps
lamb would be a much better option, I have to wonder). The papadum is
slightly rancid and not totally crispy. The meal started in such a
high-note, but ends in disappointing. Was it worth it? I am not sure
yet. Like one Japanese food reviewer wrote, "we eat with our eyes
too". It is the second time that I order it, and I barely remember
that it was dry the first time too. I feel tempted to give this place
another chance.

With respect to price, most entrees at lunch time are between 12-16,
hence middle-towards-upper end of the spectrum at lunch time (for this
area).

Verdict: Undecided

Cost: 16.60 + tip. Lunch pricing.

For more information, including address, visit:
Cafe Ceylon on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment