Monday, November 22, 2010

Looking for a warm soup?

It is a cold day, the type that calls for a warm soup. Here are some suggestions:

* Pho Vy, on Fort Street, almost at Blanshard. Try their pho.
* Green Leaf: on Douglas in front of the Old Bay Centre. Very good pho too.
* Kim Vietnamese, on 748 Johnson. Excellent "Seafood bouillabaisse". Go for small, it is large enough.
* I Kyu Noodles, in China Block. Home made noodles. I enjoyed the hot and sour soup during the weekend.
* Wah Lai Restaurant, also in China Block (next to I Kyu). They have great dumpling soups.
* Relish: Pandora and Quadra (in front of the Conservatory). They have a soup special every day.

Does anybody have any other recommendations?

--dmg

8 comments:

  1. And a group of us @ work today went with Pho Vy as we work right across the street.

    Awesome food and perfect for today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is where I ended too. I was too lazy and cold to find another place. my 31-large-with-spicy-sauce was what I needed.

    --dmg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd highly recommend Souped Up, in the St. Andrews business alley (View St. side). I've been getting the chili and the pea soup for years; always with a soft roll and solid service. You can always find a seat and a glass of water is free (unlike Hernandez down the alley, which has always irked me). Owner operated, give them a try when you're feeling chilled to the bone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Chicken Penne Soup at Ferris' Downstairs.
    And I haven't tried it, but Wah Lai Yuen is one of the only Chinese restaurants in Victoria (that I've seen) that makes congee - easy eatin' if you're feeling cold and sickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bean Around the world makes a fantastic African peanut squash soup

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pho Vuong has good Pho-soup. The dinning area is spacious and clean unlike the other pho place mentioned. The reg size bowl was plenty for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Tomato-Feta and Chicken Almond soups are to die for at John's Place. You get refills for free as well with lots of freshly made herb bread!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've found that the best soups in the city are in the SUB at UVic (At International Grill and Felicitas). If you like the soup at ReBar, you'll like these because they're all made from scratch by the lady who wrote most of the ReBar soup recipes.

    The African Sweet Potato soup is particularly good.

    ReplyDelete